Italian vocational training system
Vocational training in Italy is mainly integrated into the school education system.
At the age of 14, young people can choose to continue their studies in a regional vocational training center or in a state technical institute.
Attend a vocational training center leads to the attainment of a professional qualification, while the five-year educational program leads to the award of a high school degree that gives access to the university.
The entrance into the labor market is through the apprenticeship, which can be started from 16 years of age, once completed the compulsory school attendance.
Apprenticeship provides theoretical and practical training, the latter given in the company. From 18 years of age, a young person can be hired with a work contract that does not include compulsory training.
The program of the study visit is organized according to the needs of the participants (e.g. teachers, company tutors, entrepreneurs, vocational training centers managers) and is designed to give participants a 360-degree overview of the Italian situation. The study visit can also be an excellent opportunity to establish contacts with the directors of training centers in Vicenza to start a transnational cooperation.
The topics covered during the study visit are:
- structure of the initial vocational training system
- training needs of specific economic and productive sectors
- curricular contents and methods
- innovation in training from the perspective of the European labor market
- involvement of the social partners in the implementation of training
- vocational guidance for students and parents
- continuing education for qualified personnel
- retraining for unemployed
- quality management in transnational mobility activities
The study tour includes visits to training centers, technical institutes and companies. Meetings with representatives of the social partners and local government policy makers complete the program.
Program of the study visit and duration can be adapted to different requirements (minimum 2 days).